Sgf-parsing and detailed hints

I’m porting sgf-parsing to MoonScript.

Based on my own experiences solving this, I want to provide some hints on how to solve it. I wrote a fairly verbose hints file.

The content is basically a “lite” approaches document, but you only get to see the approaches after you’ve already solved it.

I don’t know if the content belongs as hints or as appended instructions.
Can I get some feedback on it?

Those look like implementation suggestions, so I’d suggest hints. I would think the instructions would describe the problem and not touch on implementation.

1 Like

Those look like implementation suggestions, so I’d suggest hints. I would think the instructions would describe the problem and not touch on implementation.

That’s not strictly true. Python has a ton of instruction appends that point the student at implementing errors/error handling. And our instruction append for simple linked list specifies LIFO stack.

So I sorta feel like the hints as they stand could be an instruction append, and then additional hints or strategies for Parser vs State machine could go in the hints file.

But you can also keep it in hints. I just think most students don’t look to the hints file until they are stuck, whereas an instruction append can point them in a good general direction to start off.

1 Like

That’s pretty much what I’m targetting. The exercise has difficulty “hard”, so the struggle is pretty much expected.

2 Likes