So, what's your goto C++ IDE?

Hi all,

Just joined Exercism and thoroughly enjoying the experience.

I’ve been using Jetbrain’s Clion on Windows for a few months and really recommend it. It’s free for personal use and everything about it is pretty seamless. It’s a great help for those learning C++ or doing a refresher like I am.

What are you using? Pros/cons?

Gary

I use NeoVim with clang-tidy on Linux, not very beginner friendly because it requires using keyboard shortcuts and using the command line for most things, but it does allow working efficiently on an old computer once you get used to it; clang-tidy does a lot of the heavy lifting such as auto complete, static analysis and auto formatting.

2 Likes

The jetbrains people were pretty rude when Jeremy talked to them about exercism cooperation things. That pushed them to my no-list.

I use vs code, and I am pretty happy with it. I replaced the linter with clang’s, and that took some time to integrate. Now it works pretty nicely.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear about this rudeness, I’m new here so didn’t know anything about it.

vim. Took me several years to fully migrate from IDEs, not looking back. It is always available and none of the compiler and linker flags are hidden. cmake is a natural addition.

1 Like