Solution for track installation missing headers on Ubuntu24

I initially opened this on github but apparently you all don’t use issues as it was autoclosed.

I’m not sure of the correct way to handle this. I did find one solution to my installation problem as detailed below but simply adding a package may not be the “right” way to document it for all other operating systems. I am unsure which historical Ubuntu versions work without the added package. All I really know for certain, is U24 requires an additional package.

I’m on the track for arm64-assembly using a Ubuntu 24 system for development.

lsb_release -a verifies I have Ubuntu 24.04 installed

Running “make” on hello-world for arm64-assembly results in an error for missing include file bits/wordsize.h

I did some research and installing the package libc6-dev-arm64-cross will provide the header bits/wordsize.h on Ubuntu24

After installing that additional package, it finds the header and it works.

The instructions at Installing ARM64 Assembly locally | Exercism's Docs correctly list gcc-aarch64-linux-gnu however, for Ubuntu24 (and possibly additional OS) it should also include the package libc6-dev-arm64-cross to provide the required headers as per above.

Or maybe provide a hint that if the user is getting errors about missing headers, the missing headers, on newer Ubuntu OS and possibly others, the user may need to install the libc6-dev-arm64-cross package in addition to the packages listed.

Possibly, if the Ubuntu 24 gcc-multilib system supported arm64 (it does not) then there would be an alternative way to install headers under the multilib system.

Thanks for your efforts very cool system and have a great day!

1 Like

Would you like to contribute a pull request to update the instructions? It will be automatically closed, but I can re-open it.