Tests fail for exercise: “Simple Linked List”

I’m trying to solve the “Simple Linked List” exercise from the Scala track. Everything looks good locally (where I use sbt test with scala 2.13.10), but when I submit the exercise, online tests fail with:

/mnt/exercism-iteration/src/test/scala/SimpleLinkedListTest.scala:1: error: object scalacheck is not a member of package org
import org.scalacheck.Arbitrary

Something might be wrong with the testing architecture.

Apologies if this is not the right place to report such issues.

2 Likes

At a guess you’re importing a package (scalacheck) which isn’t supported on our infrastructure. Could that make sense?

1 Like

Right, but I’d expect the test suite to be part of the “infrastructure”: this is the test suite failing to run.

It should then be a feature request for the test suite, rather than a bug, if it is not currently a requirement.

Let me rephrase: where can I file a bug report? The test suite crashes whatever solution is given to the exercise.

Sorry, it wasn’t clear that the issue was with code in the test suite rather than code in the solution (which is what I was suggesting in my first post). I understand now.

For a scala maintainer, we need to do one of:

• Include scalacheck in the test runner
  • Remove it from here
  • Disable the editor for this exercise

(cc @ErikSchierboom as you probably best know who to triage to or could decide/fix yourself).

1 Like

@KirillArtamonov Has is the person that knows the most about the Scala test runner

For a scala maintainer, we need to do one of:

• Include scalacheck in the test runner
  • Remove it from here
  • Disable the editor for this exercise

Testing the solution fails since the tests are run in offline mode and the scalacheck dependency isn’t prefetched.
Adding an extra dependency to the test runner’s build.sbt fixes running the tests - I get test results back locally.

Removing any property-based tests for that exercise will also solve the isse, but I’d opt for #1.

Not sure how #3 is fixing the issue, though.

@KirillArtamonov Great thanks. Are you able to PR the dependency addition?

#3 “fixes” it in a brute force way by not running the tests for that exercise and not telling the student they fail. This has many obvious downsides, not least that the exercise isn’t solvable in the browser, but it’s our solution of last resort for situations where we simply cannot run the tests on our infrastructure (most commonly when the optimal solution will still take >10s to run so will always time out). So I state it as an option, but obviously not one we’d ideally choose to take! :)

Add scalacheck dependency by artamonovkirill · Pull Request #49 · exercism/scala-test-runner · GitHub :ok_hand:

1 Like

:white_check_mark:

Sweet. Thanks!

Many thanks. Problem solved!

1 Like