The #12in23 Challenge!

My dashboard is currently showing 15 languages (8 complete, 7 incomplete), so unless it for some odd reason collapses when you complete 12, you should be fine.

I did wonder if there should be a #23in23 follow-up challenge at some point this year, as that seems to be what I’m drifting towards in a chaotic, unfocussed way. I’m not sure I’d recommend it.

More seriously, there may be a growing demand for something beyond #12in23 as more people complete it. The monthly challenges like Functional February go a long way towards this, but there are also the usual answers to the “what next?” question.

• Pick a few languages you like and explore them in more depth: do more exercises, build an app outside Exercism, do mentoring, contribute to building the track…
  • If badges really motivate people (they seem to!), add a broader challenge (like #23in23) or a deeper challenge (#10of12in23?) with more exercises per track. If you want to make it a bit easier, score it like reputation points where meduim/hard exercises count extra.

Or, of course, hope for nice weather and get out more (I should).

1 Like

Good idea. Maybe a legendary badge for completing the track in the calendar month if is has more than, say, 50 exercises.

3 Likes

Wow! Well done! But please try Elixir. It is just so freaking beautiful!

1 Like

@SoldierCoder We’ve got an interview and AMA with Jose Valim (creator of Elixir!) lined up…get it in the diary!

Information is all here - Live interview and AMA with José Valim - Creator of Elixir

— Undeserved Badge —

Dear Jonathan, I’m having a ball with this #12in23 challenge. It’s loads of fun and is bringing me to new languages I wouldn’t otherwise look into!

Unfortunately there may be a bug in the badge counting system. It seems that I’ve been awarded an undeserved badge for I still have only 4 exercises completed in Elixir and I already received a #12in23 Participant badge.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d very much like to earn this badge and I will, but maybe there is something to be amended in the website code.

Most entusiastically,
Diego

P.S. - Check image:

Hey @EGORIDI, thanks for posting and a warm welcome to you!

It’s really great to hear that you’re having a good time with the #12in23 challenge and I must commend you on your desire to legitimately earn the badge!

I’ve copied in @ErikSchierboom who might be able to take a quick look at the badge counting setup and make sure the accolades are handed out correctly :wink:

Again, glad you’re enjoying it make sure you put this in your diary

It’s been a blast! Thank you all for providing this experience to us!

And, have no doubts, that badge is MINE !!! :grin: But not yet…

Regarding the diary… I’m still making courage for that, but thanks!

1 Like

Is there an issue # already? I’d like to add my +1. I’ve got my Functional February badge already, but I’ve submitted only 3 functional-lang exercises this month so far… and two of them were Hello Worlds! (Elm, OCaml)

@ErikSchierboom is checking this.

1 Like

Award people an honesty badge for reporting an unearned badge :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How about one for completing 50 exercises in one track during a given month? And possibly one for completing a track (any track?) in a given month?

1 Like

Whilst I can’t speak for others, I certainly think that the badges are nice (after all we can have immediate ‘bragging rights’ for them) but not the most important feature of this challenge. Thus, I don’t think more difficult challenges will necessarily move a comparable additional audience into using more of Exercism.

Personally I think that the most interesting feature of this challenge is to provide to me (to us, if I may) a guided, somehow curated yet serendipitous collective adventure within Exercism’s contents that I certainly wouldn’t do alone. This ‘safari’ feeling is certainly determinant to my engagement also.

Very much like visiting a vineyard, it feels like I can taste several interesting concepts (vines, cuts, ageing etc) and paradigms while still not feeling that I’m alone, ‘lost in the woods’ (vines) while doing it.

If Exercism could provide more guided tours like this, horizontal, vertical, diagonal, whatever sorts of tasting adventures, I’d certainly go for it!

And maybe others too.

King regards,

4 Likes

That is an awesome typo!

4 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Defining ‘Diary’

Meanwhile, I just got my 12th green tick.

No immediate #12in23 badge, so I’m not sure if it’s just slower than for Functional February (quite reasonably), or I confused it with the extra unfinished tracks.

4 Likes

Or entirely unimplemented as we didn’t expect people to get to it until later in the year :wink:

1 Like

Quite reasonably!

Personally, I don’t really understand the excitement around badges. It’s the dashboard that keeps me pressing on. Hence I’m glad it continues to show extra languages - and you keep launching new tracks to explore.

3 Likes

Vis-a-vis badges, challenges; and about the recommended exercises…

By the time I unlock them, I’ll have already completed (more than) five exercises in the track. At first I thought only published solutions count, so I can pace myself and publish the more interesting exercises.

Earn the Functional February badge for completing and publishing 5 exercises in one of the following languages.

(from the 12in23 page)

But according to the “Your Progress” section I’m 3/5 there. Only one of the 3 (4 with Hello World) is published, so apparently that is not a needed condition. Is this an oversight? A bug?

It can be any february, not just this one. Maybe that’s what’s happening?

1 Like

Oh goodie. Zig has gone live. Just in time for Mechanical March.
Please ??

2 Likes