The GDScript is now live (PR).
Have fun and please do report (on this forum) any feedback or issues you find.
The GDScript is now live (PR).
Have fun and please do report (on this forum) any feedback or issues you find.
I tried opening the practice directory directly in Rider, but .gd files that aren’t inside a Godot project only show basic syntax highlighting, with no hints for classes or functions. I also can’t open the directory as an existing project in Godot. I’m not sure what the best approach is — maybe each practice should have its own project.godot so the IDE can recognize it?
The Exercism web UI doesn’t use any Godot project files. I’ve been editing the GDScript files directly in vim. What would project files look like? Could we script the creation of those files?
Judging from Project Settings — Godot Engine (stable) documentation in English, it’s the project-specific editor settings Godot would use if that folder were a project. I assume the online test runner would just ignore this file in practice. Students working locally would write their code in Godot and then go run their tests in Docker. That’s not the best experience, but that’s a step in the right direction I believe.
I don’t know Godot, but I’m wondering if Exercism might be author a standalone Godot plugin that can be distributed with each exercise. The plugin and the Docker test runner might share the same core testing setup, but the plugin reports the results inside Godot while the Docker test runner does it on Exercism. I’m thinking something vaguely in the direction of perhaps Pharo, but I’m not too knowledgeable about how they do this.
Docker isn’t needed to run the tests locally if Godot is installed. Exercisms include a test runner written in GDScript that runs the tests and reports the results.
Godot’s IDE does make plugin creation fairly simple. A plugin to run the tests and report the results would be very neat! That plugin could be written either by an Exercism maintainer or by a community member. I don’t plan on working myself on a plugin anytime soon, though.
Now exercises ship with a bare bones project.godot file.