Trying to install exerism and get error "/exercism: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error"

Hi, I running Linux Mint 21.3 and I’m trying to install exercism on my machine. I am running intel x86_64 and downloaded the correct file. I extracted it per the instructions, created the ~/bin folder in my home directory, updated the $PATH environment variable in .bashrc file. But when I execute ./exercism I get the “error: /exercism: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error”

I google around for help, but found nothing useful.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

To get more information please execute these two commands:

file $(which exercism)
uname -a

The first one examines the exercism binary,
the second one prints information about your system.

1 Like

If you invoke ./exercism you are specifically stating to execute that file in the directory of which you are in.

What happens if you do exercism version?

Hi - I am using Linux Mint 22.2 right now, and I haven’t had any problems with the exercism.
Are you sure you downloaded the right exercism binary? I searched this term, cannot execute binary file: Exec format error - and it seems to me, that the version for another processor architecture could be the issue (like, on askubuntu the poster downloaded binary for ARM - while he was using x86_64 processor. [Link] )

Also, if you successfully added ~/bin/ to your PATH environmental variable, and the exercism file have execute persmissions (chmod +x on exercism file) - then you do not need need to run exercism with ./exercism - in fact, you even should do not, it will execute exercism on your actual working directory, if there is no exercism there, it should throw bash: ./exercism: No such file or directory then.

Welcome to the exercism community btw :hugs: