[x86-64/micro-blog] The tests should check for an empty string

I coded a solution, passing all tests, then realized my solution was not working for an empty string. It is a trivial case, but should be tested anyway I think. I added the test on my machine to check my own solution.

This is an exercise shared by many Exercism tracks across programming languages. So even I am not a x86-64 maintainer:

The empty string is not a test case and that is a known and accepted testing gap. We do not aim at testing for all possible inputs, but focus on test cases that are meaningful for a learning experience. In this exercise, the goal is to learn UTF8 or UTF16 string handling instead of “normal” ASCII strings. Empty strings are part of many other exercises, so we skipped it here.

1 Like

Hi! Thank you for the suggestion!

Most practice exercises come from a common repository shared across all tracks/languages. Easy exercises such as micro-blog tend to test fewer edge cases to make it easier for students to practice fundamentals before moving on to harder exercises.

1 Like