Bug when posting a mentoring comment on a solution with a new iteration

A little “off-topic”, perhaps, but It just happened to me that an iteration was pushed, so while writing (off platform) the response, I came back to paste my feedback in, when I press update, or whatever it says, it stays blank.

Only because this has happened several times, do I know that I need to (at least) refresh the page instead of trying to submit again.

Then I see that while I was on the page, another iteration came.

The behavior has changed recently when the student responds while you are there, as mentioned and acknowledged and appreciated elsewhere in the Exercismverse, that you get a notification. But this lack of similar behavior for a new iteration is pretty jarring.

I only add it to this conversation, since we are contemplating behavior changes in a situation very similar in my mind to time-outs.

1 Like

Thank you for the move.

Only because this has happened several times, do I know that I need to (at least) refresh the page instead of trying to submit again.

@dem4ron This sounds like a bug. Two things:

1. A new iteration should show up on the mentoring solution via a websocket
  2. The new mentoring comment should be appropriately positioned).

The behavior has changed recently when the student responds while you are there, as mentioned and acknowledged and appreciated elsewhere in the Exercismverse, that you get a notification. But this lack of similar behavior for a new iteration is pretty jarring.

@kotp Could you explain exactly what you mean here please? I’m not aware that we’ve changed any behaviour around this recently (I might have missed something, or we might have fixed/broken something inadvertently)

Sure. I remember someone, perhaps @bobahop, had commented about how it now shows “new message” incoming, (or whatever the actual statement is) that allows for more of a quick volley of comments, similar to live chat. This was not always the case, and recent (to me) is probably any time within 10% of the time that I have been here, so probably within the year, as we are almost at a decade…

I would consider it an improvement (rather than a fix). The other behavior was (just) OK, where you would not see it until you saw the notification and came back or perhaps on a refresh.

I understand now. Thank you. @dem4ron will implement the (1) and (2) above either this week or next week :slight_smile:

I’ve seen what might be this behavior, but I didn’t associate it with a new message or iteration from the student. It seemed to me like I just was not able to post more than one comment without reloading in between.

(But now, thinking about it, I do that all the time, so I must have been mis-observing.)

Anyway, I thought a different description of the problem might help. If indeed the same problem.

It is: (1) I’ve written and sent a comment in a mentoring session; (2) I go to write another comment, but the comment-entry box is relentlessly blank; (3) I reload the page and – voila! – what I had typed (or pasted) into the box is now visible! (#3 makes this a much less serious bug than otherwise: nothing is lost, it’s just temporarily misplaced…)

Did you notice if it was a comment that came in, or a submission that came in, when that happens? I think now if a comment comes in, that does not happen. (I have not confirmed if you need to click on the “incoming message” on screen notification, though).