Conquering Advent of Code 2022

What is Advent of Code?

Are there any other people who will try to tackle this year’s AoC in Elixir?
Are there some people who have not heard of advent of code yet?
Have you tried it in Elixir? How was it?

It’s so much fun. In my opinion at least :laughing:.

It’s never to early to prepare, right? :christmas_tree: :bat:

Here is the join code for fellow users: 949718-6d5a40f4

4 Likes

As every year, I will do the first couple of exercises with a couple of days delayed.

I will probably use elixir as well, though might as well use any other language from my reportoir.

I often do AoC when trying out a new language to get some “real” problem to work on.

That is exactly the reason I do AoC! I think it’s a really nice opportunity to get some problems of the beaten paths.

Why the delay? To keep the pressure low?

No, because I forget it the first days and then do not hurry myself through, but keep it at a pace of 1 exercise a day.

Job and Family still have priority.

1 Like

Last year, I did it in Go. Elixir (or maybe LFE?) would be fun this year. Do we have a leaderboard?

I just made one. Here is the join code:
949718-6d5a40f4

1 Like

I did AOC for the first time last year, and I’m planning on participating again this year.

I used primarily Racket last year, though I did a few of the problems in Elixir. My Elixir-specific advice is to get really comfortable with the for comprehension syntax, since so many AOC solutions tend to lean hard on list or array processing.

1 Like

I did the last two years in Python and even managed to make it into the top 100 once!

1 Like

Wow, that is great. Some of the top solvers are using Python and often their solutions are simply mind-blowing.

Ha! Really? I always thought of Racket as a rather academic choice for onboarding. Wrestling AoC with it is incredible.

I’ve got all my completed solutions on GitHub (I tapped out for days 21-24) if you want to see how they look.

I usually do AoC every year.

It has been really useful to learn new languages. I used Python for the first years, then moved to Go and last year did it in C#.

This year, I’ll use Advent of Code to get fluency/proficiency in Rust. If time allows, I also want to play a bit with Sinclair BASIC for the ZX Spectrum.

I usually stop doing around day 14. It’s the point for me where every exercise starts to take an amount of time and energy I don’t have.

1 Like

Note, the weekend exercises are significantly harder than the other exercises. If you want to avoid the really time consuming ones, you can just skip the weekends.

Do we want to discuss AOC when the time comes?

Should we have AOC2022 tags and keep the language-specific discussion in the specific language forums?

I would love to have an organized way to discuss problems and solutions.

Updated: Generic advent-of-code tag is better.

1 Like

Yep! That’s a great idea :) Jonathan - could you create an AOC2022 tag please.

I think I’d prefer a generic advent-of-code with aoc being an alias (if aliases are possible).

Tagging by year requires reoccuring work for no reason. Post dates should be sufficient to distinguish.

I prefer the generic advent-of-code too. Since folks could do past years at any time, the post date might not always be enough. Perhaps, we can encourage users to reference the year and the day in the topic title. That’ll make searching more structured.

3 Likes

Sure, this is just the warm-up topic. I am sure there will be a lot more.

1 Like

Should we have threads for advent of code in each language category, just this one or a general topic per day?

On one hand I think a topic per language would be cool for someone looking for solutions in just that language. However, the problem I see with that is:

1. Exercism doesn’t have all languages in the world (not yet, at least :slight_smile:)
  2. It’s fun to see people solving random languages in a single thread. In the advent of code reddit there’s just a single thread per day and people post all the solutions in different languages there. I actually like to see all that chaos.

PS: already joined the leaderboard!

The aoc subreddit does a really good job of compiling a myriad of languages to scroll through. If we have a lot of traffic, it might make sense to have several threads, but for the time being, I think a general topic is fine? I suppose not many people will go and solve aoc tasks in Assembly or Prolog.

Last year we had quite a few leadersboards to join and basically we had the rule to wait before scoring was over, and then had TWO threads in slack.

1. “Oof this exercise today [NO SPOILERS]”
  2. “This is what I did [SPOILERS]”

I highly recommend we do the same, because that allows people to read about the exercise and people’s struggles and ask questions without giving away the solutions, and allows us to have discussion and banter about solving it in good, cool, weird, bad, esoteric ways.

1 Like