Creating a sqlite3 track

So…

The aim is that this replaces the PLSQL track, but the way to do it will just be to create a new track then deprecate the other afterwards.

Let’s use this thread to discuss :partying_face:

1 Like

This is me shouting.

I was wondering how to go about testing. Should we focus on the sqlite3 command line, or use the binding from some language?

1 Like

I would have a preference for using sqlite3 when possible, but only when it isn’t too much of a hassle.

Done: GitHub - exercism/sqlite: Exercism exercises in SQLite.

1 Like

I guess the quickest results (for me at least) would come with a test framework in Python. I would rather not use any language like bash or tcl (as used by the sqlite test harness). Writing things in C might be fast, but more difficult for (future) maintainers.

In any situation, I would vote to keep as much of the student-facing files in the respective language.

The major downside would be that all students need to have Python installed locally on their machine. I’m not saying that this is not a valid option, but it is something that should be carefully considered. The more dependencies need to be installed, the harder it is for students to get started.

We could use pure sqlite and route the output to json for the test-runner and print the outputs of the tests in .table mode for local installations?

What was wrong with PLSQL to deprecate it?

Agree with this. On the other hand? rdbunit is mighty tempting at first glance.

Other techniques are described at Modern SQL – but the test results would still need to be collected and reported out in some fashion.

This blog post talks about how Shopify built a harness for testing their queries. Sadly, it is also in Python, and uses JinJa.

Well, if we can’t come up with something that doesn’t use another language, Python is as good a language as any.

I made some progress with an sql file only approach, but I have one fundamental question:

How will we do the tests without procedures? As I understand sqlite3 does not support any function-like behavior, that accepts parameters.

Would we just tell students to modify the entries in table xy and check the result after calling their script?

We could provide helper functions that do that maybe? Or each test inserts data, runs/asserts and then empties the tables. (or creates a new sql3 database for each test or whatever is fastest)?

I will write an example for leap, so we have something tangible for further discussion.

4 Likes

Something like

$ echo '
  create table years (year int);
  insert into years
      with recursive inc(year) as (select 1894 union all select year + 1 from inc limit 112)
      select year from inc;

select group_concat(year)
  from years
  where year % 4 = 0 and (year % 100 != 0 or year % 400 = 0);
  ' | sqlite3

and then test the output is

1896,1904,1908,1912,1916,1920,1924,1928,1932,1936,1940,1944,1948,1952,1956,1960,1964,1968,1972,1976,1980,1984,1988,1992,1996,2000,2004

This is the kind of thing I’ve done in bash/awk/jq tracks

Preface:
I have not written sql in a long time, and there are surely ways to make it better, faster, harder, scooter. This is just one way to do it. I am concentrating on the test-runner.

Idea:

• have two files, one for tests, one for the user.
  • have minimal tooling

Workflow:

student has file: leap.sql:

UPDATE leap
SET is_leap = 1
WHERE year % 4 = 0  AND (year % 100 != 0 OR year % 400 = 0);

tests are in leap_test.sql:

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS main.leap;

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS main.leap (
	year INTEGER PRIMARY KEY,
	is_leap BOOLEAN NOT NULL DEFAULT 0
);

INSERT INTO leap (year)
    VALUES
        (2015),
        (1970),
        (1996),
        (2100),
        (2000),
        (1800);

.read ./leap.sql

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS main.tests;

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS main.tests (
    test_id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY AUTOINCREMENT, 
	name TEXT NOT NULL,
    status TEXT DEFAULT "fail",
    message TEXT DEFAULT "",
    output TEXT DEFAULT "",
    test_code TEXT DEFAULT "",
    task_id INTEGER DEFAULT 0,
    uuid TEXT NOT NULL UNIQUE,
    year INT NOT NULL,
    result BOOL NOT NULL
);

INSERT INTO tests (name, uuid, year, result)
    VALUES
        ("not_divisible_by_4", "6466b30d-519c-438e-935d-388224ab5223", 2015, 0),
        ("divisible_by_2_not_divisible_by_4", "ac227e82-ee82-4a09-9eb6-4f84331ffdb0", 1970, 0),
        ("divisible_by_4_not_divisible_by_100", "4fe9b84c-8e65-489e-970b-856d60b8b78e", 1996, 1),
        ("divisible_by_100_not_divisible_by_400", "78a7848f-9667-4192-ae53-87b30c9a02dd", 2100, 0),
        ("divisible_by_400", "42ee56ad-d3e6-48f1-8e3f-c84078d916fc", 2000, 1),
        ("divisible_by_200_not_divisible_by_400", "c30331f6-f9f6-4881-ad38-8ca8c12520c1", 1800, 0);

UPDATE tests
SET status = "pass"
FROM (SELECT year, is_leap FROM leap) AS l
WHERE (l.year, l.is_leap) = (tests.year, tests.result);

UPDATE tests
SET message = "Result for " || l.year || " is: " || l.is_leap || ", but should be: " || tests.result
FROM (SELECT year, is_leap FROM leap) AS l
WHERE l.year = tests.year AND tests.status = "fail";

.mode json
.once './output.json'

SELECT name, status, message, output, test_code, task_id
FROM tests;

.mode table
SELECT name, status, message
FROM tests;

test-runner calls:

$sqlite3 '' --init ./leap_test.sql -bail  '.exit'     

output.json is generated:

[{"name":"not_divisible_by_4","status":"pass","message":"","output":"","test_code":"","task_id":0},
{"name":"divisible_by_2_not_divisible_by_4","status":"pass","message":"","output":"","test_code":"","task_id":0},
{"name":"divisible_by_4_not_divisible_by_100","status":"pass","message":"","output":"","test_code":"","task_id":0},
{"name":"divisible_by_100_not_divisible_by_400","status":"pass","message":"","output":"","test_code":"","task_id":0},
{"name":"divisible_by_400","status":"pass","message":"","output":"","test_code":"","task_id":0},
{"name":"divisible_by_200_not_divisible_by_400","status":"pass","message":"","output":"","test_code":"","task_id":0}]

Can be further adjusted with jq to fit the exercise test runner spec.

3 Likes

That is brilliant.
One change I’d suggest is a separate sql script to create the fixture database. Then the student can have something to play with interactively.

That does look very promising! What would the student see as their output? The JSON is nice for the test runner, but less nice for the student.

I have changed the tests script above.

Now the json is still filled like beforehand, but the user gets this (only testing div by 4):

+---------------------------------------+--------+-----------------------------------------+
|                 name                  | status |                 message                 |
+---------------------------------------+--------+-----------------------------------------+
| not_divisible_by_4                    | pass   |                                         |
| divisible_by_2_not_divisible_by_4     | pass   |                                         |
| divisible_by_4_not_divisible_by_100   | pass   |                                         |
| divisible_by_100_not_divisible_by_400 | fail   | Result for 2100 is: 1, but should be: 0 |
| divisible_by_400                      | pass   |                                         |
| divisible_by_200_not_divisible_by_400 | fail   | Result for 1800 is: 1, but should be: 0 |
1 Like

That is fantastic!

We could move the table creation and inserts into an extra file, that is not edit-able in the web-editor, but called in the tests and available to the cli-users.
Or move it to the exercise-solution file that is fully editable?

How about we include these files for the exercise

• the raw data as a csv file, visible but readonly in the web editor
  • the create_fixture.sql script that imports the csv file and saves a binary database file, visible but readonly in the web editor.
    • the test script can recreate the fixture for each test.
  • would it be worthwhile to save the binary database file in git? Offline students would have it to play with, but it can be created with the fixture script.