How are new languages chosen?

Hi Exercism! First time caller, long time fan. We were just talking on my team about how we could make some learning resources for a couple of open source projects we hack on that would be close to what Exercism has, because we love it here.

Is there a process by which new languages/frameworks get added? Is it just a matter of someone putting in the work?

Both of the projects we’re working on are from the Web3 world:
_substrate
ink!

Any advice?

1 Like

As far as I am aware so does exercism only have programming languages.

1 Like

I guess in this sense ink! qualifies, despite a name collision with the ink (no bang) language. It’s a language specifically for writing smart contracts though, maybe that makes it too specific?

Still curious as to how these things get evaluated. Is there a group of moderators beyond the maintainers? I suppose we could create a short set of tests and find out.

The most important is that some one is ready to build up the libary for the language. I would think if you/your team is up to build the track I am pretty sure it will get approved. And to answer you before it is mostly based on some one puting in the work.

1 Like

Solidity is in the works, and so is related in that way. Perhaps check the track to see how it has evolved so far?

1 Like

Yes, that’s it. In that sense, new languages aren’t “chosen”, they are given.

The documentation about Building a Track is pretty intimidating. You’ll really get started by seeing how an existing language did it in github. See the repos owned by the Exercism organization

3 Likes

Morning! I’m Jonathan (Exercism Community Manager). Great question and most of the answers below are great starting points…

Typically, I also have a chat with anyone keen to launch a new language just to connect so if you’re up for that…let me know!

1 Like

This is almost certainly something we’d like to pursue as a team. I want to make sure we’re ready to commit the resources so we can be sure it will be successful. I’ll reach out to you directly when the time comes.

2 Likes