Introduce Yourself!

Hi @ConstLuck - a warm welcome and great to have you hear. Looking forward to seeing the programming journey unfold!

1 Like

hello ,I’m glad to learn English with a new frend.

2 Likes

Hello everyone, I’m fatima a software developer from MOROCCO
nice to meet you all :blush:

3 Likes

My name is Christian. I’m a geophysicist from Texas working in seismic data processing. Day to day I use Python and proprietary languages, but I started out as a teen with C and C++. I’ve done other challenge sites like Project Euler and CodeAbbey, but I’ve found Exercism to be quite unique and addictive.

Starting next week I start a new position at work, so Exercism is being helpful by getting me to brush up on my C/C++. Now I just need to reacquaint myself with F90/F95 after 20 years!!!

2 Likes

Hello everyone! I’m Letícia and I’m from Brazil. I am studying Full Stack Web Development and I love back end. Furthermore, I know JavaScript, Node.js, React.js, SQL and I just start with MongoDB and Java.
I just find this site and I already think It’s pretty great, congrats! I really look up for something like this site, because I need to improve my logic programming.

Some random things about me: My English is pretty basic hahaha sorry about that, by that way; I have eight cats; I’m purple belt in Karate Shotokan, and I’m white belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu; I1m really like Calisthenics and my dream is one day finally get the pranche .

2 Likes

Hi, what’s up? I’m Marcos and I’m from Brazil, glad to meet you! I hope can we together share knowledge and fun facts, I learning PHP but I like Java,c++ too, I hope get a Job With programming soon.

1 Like

Hi Ori - nice to see you on the forum. Thank you so much for your donations. :smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hello all. :slight_smile:

My name is Vince. I love creating things in general but most of the time it takes the form of webdev and gamedev. If not dev stuff, then I’m probably doing something related to music, writing, or streaming.

I’ve been a Perl dev for most of my career, and have written a lot of PHP over the years too. More recently, I am learning Elixir, which is how I found Exercism!

I also love helping fellow creative types, which is how I spend a lot of my spare time. I work with a lot of devs in an area of gaming called Persistent Browser-Based Games, where gamedev and webdev intersect. These were highly popular in the mid-2000s but still have a dedicated following.

I also love cats! :smiley_cat:

It’s nice to meet you all.

4 Likes

Hi, I’m Colin. I spent most of my life as a scientist (org chem PhD, career in medical research). Now I’m retired I persuaded the University of Arizona to admit me as a Non-Degree-Seeking Graduate student, so I do Exercism exercises between taking courses in astrophysics. I’ve never worked professionally in either IT or astro, but I try to reach a grade of “not bad for an amateur”, while reassuring myself I’m not senile yet.

Looking forward to Analytical April, though I’ll have to fight against an ingrained reflex to start every Python program with import numpy as np; import astropy.units as u.

6 Likes

Hello :wave:

Scala developer here. I come here from time to time to look at other languages. I have completed the Haskell track several years ago, and that was when I fell in love with this site. I have tried Typescript and Elm tracks but I don’t do much UI so I didn’t persevere. Currently looking into Rust. This site has grown considerably since last time I was here. Good job!

4 Likes

Hey I am stuart i am a mature aged aussie just here to learn more about programming etc. I stream games on twitch also feel free to ask me anything if you want to know more :blush:

4 Likes

Hi, I’m Safwan, a high school sophomore from India! I’ve been programming for three years, came here from CheckiO and like it a lot better - especially multi-language support and the incredible community! I dabble in Python and JS, but I’ve now decided to start out in Elixer. Awesome to meet you!

4 Likes

Hi, please call me Lennon. I’m 21. I live in Istanbul, Turkey. I discovered this platform thanks to my mentor who has been inspiring me for a long time.

I like drawing, discovering new songs, night walking and vodka.

1 Like

Hey everyone,

I’m from Germany (born and raised in Hamburg, now residing in Bremen), and since 5 years now, I work as a developer for a company that builds shop systems for other e-commerce companies. In my job I usually do backend work in Java (though I do some occasional frontend as well, which in the past included pug, css and javascript). But I switched teams recently and now I’m getting into Kotlin and Vue.js and all that new and exciting stuff. Because of JavaScript I actually created an account on Exercism some years ago, but only completed 4 exercises in that track. I forgot about this site and only found it again when hearing about the #12in23 challenge.

I actually started programming when I was about 12 years, without even knowing on a kids computer (I’ll attach an image) - that was programmable in Basic. I had fun with this for a while, then forgot about it, until I was around 15 years. My family never owned a computer so I didn’t had any access to one, but on one of these summer vacation programs there was some course on programming for kids, and I was really talented (and everything felt somehow familiar - I only made the connection to that kids computer much later :sweat_smile: ); the instructor talked to my parents and so after a while I got my first computer (a Pentium 1 MMX with Windows 95 on it), and made my first programming steps: QBasic and Visual Basic, then HTML. I also wrote a small program that would calculate your current GPA and predict your final grade, which became pretty popular in my class :slight_smile:

After having struggling with Windows a lot, I started trying out different Linux distribution and after a few frustrating failed attempts I got so invested into Linux that I didn’t progress in my programming journey for a while; and I also had to find a new language due to Visual Basic being Windows only. That somehow impacted me - I dabbled a bit with C/C++ but I sticked with Java which intrigued me because of it VM approach allowing it to be real multi-platform. This language followed me ever since. I wouldn’t say that it’s my favorite language; but it’s the one I am most fluent in. This also got me into OOP thinking quite early on (which is sometimes a curse). Most fun languages I used up to now, are Smalltalk (I love their all OOP approach), Ruby and Scheme. I like how these languages are really consistant and have a beautiful syntax (well with Scheme you could argue, of course… :sweat_smile: ). And while Scheme is a functional programming language, I never got to do much in the functional way which is why I still struggle a lot with that; I tried out Haskell but somehow that didn’t click; I always wanted to try Common Lisp as a more useful Lisp dialect then Scheme, but again, somehow never got around; and I always wanted to do more declarative programming… but again… I also wish I was better in machine programming - do things in C or Assembler for micro chips, build little robots, that sort of things.

My professional career took some turns - first I always thought I would be doing something in the fields of biology or chemistry. But I did a job training in that field and it didn’t make me as happy as I thought, so I ended up in business administration, which was also kind of uninteresting - so finally I picked up studying computer science and turned my hobby into a profession - which was quite nice on the one hand, because it always felt easy and fun. However, since going that way I feel like I don’t have the time to do much programming in my free time. After 8 hours of work every day I just need a break from that thing. I tried to challenge me some time ago with 100 days of code, but couldn’t stick to it. And now I am here because of the #12in23, and I finally got that spark again, to sit down after work and type away for some more hours. And I had loads of fun with Elixir on Functional February and a pretty hard but also quite mind bending and instructive time with Rust on Mechanical March. And now mid of April I’m starting with Julia for Analytical April.

Hm… that text became much longer than I intended :sweat_smile: And I didn’t even write about all my other hobbies :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Hi,
I’m Suzanne, a fabmanager from France.

I’m a mostly self-taught programmer (not counting that one recursive programming uni course on Scheme :stuck_out_tongue: ).
I come from a sound engineering/acoustics background, and I used visual languages like Pure Data and MaxMSP for a long time, working on audio and interactive art projects.
That later led me to Arduino and Processing, so C, C++ and Java, along with a lot of Python, some GLSL shaders, a bit of Haskell for livecoding in TidalCycles, and general web languages.
I’ve often felt frustrated by the time I wasted in projects due to lack of good practices, or a better understanding of these languages, so one of my personal goals is to perfect these skills and write cleaner, easier to maintain, easier to share, code.

On a professional side, I work in fablabs/makerspaces, so that means I work with CNC machines, electronics, a lot of open-source software (CAD software, server-side stuff like Dokuwiki, etc.), I help people with their projects, along with documenting, sharing those projects, promoting open-source software and low-tech approaches when possible.
I am really interested in learning resources to share with my students, especially those that are community-driven, and in projects that encourage and facilitate contributing.

So I really love Exercism, I think it’s an inspiring project and cannot wait to see it grow! :sparkles:

3 Likes

What’s your chess.com/lichess handle? :sweat_smile: :eyes:

Hi!
My name is Sarah, and I’m a homeschooled high school student. I first discovered ‘programming’ when I was about 11 and I made various little basic HTML web pages using w3 schools, but for various reasons, I ended up not getting much more into it after that, and it kind of fell by the wayside until last year when I fell in love with programming all over again. I practically consumed all of the SoloLearn courses, and am currently trying to go from being just a beginner programmer learning fundamentals to a intermediate actually implementing those fundamentals. I just found Exercism like at most 3 or 4 days ago, and already I’m loving it. The community here just seems more welcoming than with others like CodeWars and LeetCode (the only ones I tried before this), and honestly I can’t wait to try everything here, lol.

I’m like that. I always feel like I want to learn everything there is to learn, although I do always end up burning myself out after like a week and have to take a day off. Anyway, that’s me, and I can’t wait to get to know everyone here! :grin:

3 Likes

Hello Exercism Community,:wave:

I’m Kiran, and I’m excited to be part of this vibrant and knowledge-sharing community! :rocket:

I recently completed my Bachelor of Technology with a major in Computer Science from PES University in Bengaluru, Karnataka. Throughout my academic journey, I’ve been deeply passionate about technology and coding, and I’ve had the privilege of working with a variety of programming languages and technologies, including Python, SQL, JavaScript, HTML, CSS, ReactJS, NodeJS, and Django. I’ve also gained experience with databases like MySQL, PostgreSQL, and MongoDB, as well as cloud environments like AWS.

I’m particularly enthusiastic about software development methodologies, including Agile, and I’m a firm believer in the importance of adhering to OOP and SOLID principles to create robust and maintainable code.

Looking ahead, I’m preparing for an Masters program in 2024 to further deepen my knowledge and skills in the field of computer science.

My motivation for joining Exercism is to continue learning and to give back to the community by mentoring and assisting fellow learners. I’m eager to engage with all of you, learn from your experiences, and contribute to the growth of this wonderful community.

I’m here to learn and mentor, excited to connect, collaborate, and grow together. Let’s code!

1 Like

This is going to be a hit or miss reply, lol, but I’ll do my best.
Thank you for the welcome! And yeah, there’s just so much to learn just for programming. Like, I’ve only used like 3 programming languages so far and I keep finding new ones that I’ve never heard of, lol.

That is definitely an interesting solution :smile: ! I never go anywhere though, so biking isn’t really an option. What is your working arrangement? Is it like your desk setup or something? (Sorry, I’ve just never heard this phrase before, :slight_smile: . I’ve heard of Rust alot, what kind of programming language is it, and do you like it?

Interests? Really mostly just video games, lol. Although I do art too. I’m from just plain ol’ USA, :smiley: . Yeah, I felt that way after I lost the connection to a social circle, but I ended up just kindof bulldozing through it and just entertained myself as I kept on learning. I mean, it’s been hard at times, but usually the reward of actually accomplishing things and actually learning instead of just surface-level absorbing, has just really paid off for me. I mean, I wouldn’t be able to be learning programming full-time if I was a regular high-school student, and just thinking of that makes it much more worth it.

1 Like