Is Exercism currently accepting new contributors on the C# track? && a possible bug with 'add-new-exercise.ps1'

I’ve seen some posts about the ‘pause’ but I’m not sure if it’s still ongoing?

Assuming ‘Yes’ and I can contribute, I’d like to add a new exercise.

I’ve tried to run ‘add-new-exercise.ps1’ as per the example provided within, but I am receiving an error. Can anyone help?

PS C:\Users\Chris\source\repos\csharp> .\add-new-exercise.ps1 NBodyProblem
Adding project
Add-Project : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument 'NBodyProblem'.
At C:\Users\Chris\source\repos\csharp\add-new-exercise.ps1:180 char:1
+ Add-Project -Exercise $Exercise -ExerciseName $exerciseName
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Add-Project], ParameterBindingException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Add-Project
1 Like

I believe this would be up to @ErikSchierboom as the track maintainer.

Yeah, the powershell scripts are woefully outdated. I was planning to create a new version of the script once I got around to adding the “scaffold a new exercise” feature in configlet (for which I haven’t yet found the time).

What exercise do you want to add?

1 Like

Hi Erik,

As a sidenote, thanks for all of your work on this platform and your exemplar solutions, I have found it very helpful! And as I’m on my phone the response here may be a touch brief.

I would like to add a problem I came across in my master’s studies. The ’ n body problem’ it’s a little physics heavy but when provided with the pseudocode it’s not too bad.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://patterns.eecs.berkeley.edu/%3Fpage_id%3D193&ved=2ahUKEwiipN396uaCAxXISUEAHWDZArEQFnoECCQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0TZRlE0zwOt3Gy3uDfHhAB

The main learning point would be to follow on from the other ‘parallel’ exercise, in showing that multi threading of a for loop is possible so long as loop dependencies are considered.

I would suggest students to engage in their own benchmarking and optimisations offlfine with some brief pointers, it’s a fairly studied topic so there’s a lot of approaches. I would like the auto feedback to include guidance if parallelism does not seem to be implemented.

High performance computing and parallelism in general I think is a topic not widely enough covered on exercism given how much one can learn.

Good to hear!

Ehm, we have a policy of trying to limit the amount of math in our exercises, so I think this would be on the “too much math” side.

This is an excellent idea, it’s just that I don’t know if the n-body problem is the best way to go about it. Maybe we can try coming up with a different exercise?

If you’re creating a new exercise, consider if it should be added to the problem specs and/or if it is going into the C# track, how it can be worded to best allow it to eventually show up in the specs.