Julia exercise - sum of multiples - instructions incorrect?

I just finished the Sum of Multiples exercise in the Julia track. The instructions state “less than or equal to the level”. However, my tests fail unless I exclude the level itself, i.e. “less than the level”.

The Nim track excludes the limit when I did it last month.

Huh.

The present instructions.md does not contain this phrase. It did until a few days ago, but it seems the published instructions weren’t updated properly? The web page does report an update on 13 april…

In short, @TutorialTatoe: this should have been fixed, but it seems something went wrong. Or perhaps we just need to wait a bit longer.

I just checked the code (runtests.jl and example.jl) and it definitely assumes “less than”. This corresponds both to the old instructions and the current instructions. It looks as though an incorrect instructions.md was merged briefly in #623 and fixed 2 days later in #628.

For some reason, the instructions on the exercise web page are not tracking the exercise files. Is this something for @iHiD to look at?

This was the first exercise I created on any track, so I admit I’m a bit relieved the problem isn’t my fault…

1 Like

FYI - the Python track currently has the same problem, so this could be pretty widespread.

This is a known issue. :+1: It was an oversight that happened when the problem spec was updated before, the current problem spec was fixed in (2261).

The problem specs might not have been synced up, but looking at the Julia exercise it seems up to date now.

You might wanna update the exercise version. :slightly_smiling_face:

It isn’t on my end. Sum of Multiples in Julia on Exercism still contains the phrase «equal», but it shouldn’t.

The track documents are good, the student-facing web pages still give wrong instructions.

You should see this banner if your exercise is out of date and needs to be updated to the latest version. Though I seem to be having issues updating the exercise myself to the latest version, will open a new thread to notify. :+1:

I do not see that banner.

Hmm, maybe it doesn’t let unfinished exercised update? :thinking: Not quite sure, someone on the Exercism team probably has an answer for you.

Nevermind, I hadn’t started it yet.

Glad to know that it was already identified and worked on.

Same on the python track. Instructions say “less than or equal to level”. But the test:

self.assertEqual(sum_of_multiples(10, [3, 5]), 23)

wants

3+6+9 + 5 = 23

not

3+6+9 + 5+10 = 33

@samtt Thanks for letting us know; it is on our radar and will be fixed soon.

@ErikSchierboom Can the problem with the Julia [edit: and Python] instructions be fixed through manual re-sync?

The Python exercise should also have the correct instructions as of last week.

Be sure to update your exercise if it’s outdated with the current version. And remember problem specs can be outdated, it’s always best to read and go by the tests. :+1:

I’d need to figure out the actual issue first.

I don’t know if this is helpful info or not. I just (4/18/23) rebased and merged this PR on the Python content repo, and immediately got a sync error.

But this is the first sync error I’ve gotten since this one – yet if I check my account on the website, I have a lot of exercises that are showing the update warning flag. When I click it, I get an outsized spinner, then a message “we were unable to determine what has changed”:

The same issue I have when trying to update the Julia exercise. I created a new thread for it before.