Mentoring - comment about my turn to respond is wrong

Based on the fact that it seems that most mentors didn’t understand the function of the button, I still think this is likely to be user-error rather than system-error.

I’m making the button much clearer. If we do this and the problem continues to be widespread, I’ll look for a more technical problem.

1 Like

Just to be clear: does this button actively notify the student, in the same way I am actively notified of their messages? I worry that the student might not notice that it is still their turn, because (seemingly not having a reason to) they might fail to look at the exercise overview page.

Edit: the dialog text suggests the answer here is no.

Currently newly submitted iterations without accompanying student’s comment land in the mentor’s inbox. Is this (still) intended behavior?

I have never liked, sometimes disliked, and sometimes not minded this. However, now that I know that the student is (actively?) notified of my pushing this button I expect my annoyance with submissions without comments to be mostly eliminated.

I see your edit, but just for clarity, the button should only be used if they know it’s their turn. If you are moving it back to the student’s inbox and are concerned they might not know, then you should add a comment. I think the dialog makes that clear. If it doesn’t, how I do I make it clearer to the mentor that this is the case?

Yes. This is a boolean - it’s either the student or the mentors turn. Whoever acted last is “not it”. This button is a way for a mentor to flip the boolean.

There are pros and cons to the various different ways this could work, but I prefer leaving control of the boolean to the mentors who are most likely to be the power users here.