Back in v2 we had an email that went out to mentors that gave an update on usage of the platform, the state of the queues, etc. I’m going to bring that email back, but also include in it things from a student-facing perspective.
I’ll likely follow the same rule we had in v2 which is if you’ve been active in the last 4 weeks, you’ll get the email, then it’ll stop (so we’re not spamming you if you don’t use the site).
I’d like people’s opinions on what they’d like to see go into it. There are two guiding principles:
- It’ll be an automated email (so it’s powered by data from the db without added commentry)
- If can be personalised to you (based on your activity)
I’ll probably start with whatever I consider to be the lowest hanging fruit so that I can get an MVP of this out in a timely manner, but I’d like to think about how we evolve it, so feel free to be ambitious with your ideas within the remit of the critiera above.
My initial thoughts. Three categories
- If you’re a mentor, get mentoring stats for languages you mentor.
- If you’re a contributor/maintainer, get contributing stats for languages you maintain or have recently contributed to.
- If you’ve solved exercises, get solving info.
- General exercise community stats.
In terms of the sections:
- Mentoring stats could be:
- Solutions requested
- Solutions mentored
- Queue lengths
- Maintaining/contributing stats would be a time-based subset of Elixir impact and status on Exercism
- Learning stats would be:
- Updates on tracks you’re part of (powered by “What’s going on with xxx” on a logged in track page)
- A list of the solutions you’ve started, completed, published.
- An update on your mentoring requests/completions as a student.
- General community stats might include:
- Community stories
- Forum stats (x posts created)
- Update on numbers (x new users)
What else would people like?