Request for Mac users: installing Homebrew

I’m updating the Homebrew installation instructions for the CLI walkthrough

The given ruby command line is now disabled apparently (according to a posting on gitter.im) and has to be replaced. This walkthrough page uses screenshots to illustrate what’s the user should expect to see, so they can’t simply be edited.

I already have brew installed so I can’t be sure what I see when I re-install is what a new user will see.

My request: a Mac user who does not have brew installed, please install it using the bash command

/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)"

and paste the output in a reply post. Screenshots aren’t necessary, the text output is sufficient.

1 Like
Snippet
(base) anagy@macmini ~ % /bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)"
==> Checking for `sudo` access (which may request your password)...
==> This script will install:
/opt/homebrew/bin/brew
/opt/homebrew/share/doc/homebrew
/opt/homebrew/share/man/man1/brew.1
/opt/homebrew/share/zsh/site-functions/_brew
/opt/homebrew/etc/bash_completion.d/brew
/opt/homebrew
==> The following new directories will be created:
/opt/homebrew/bin
/opt/homebrew/etc
/opt/homebrew/include
/opt/homebrew/lib
/opt/homebrew/sbin
/opt/homebrew/share
/opt/homebrew/var
/opt/homebrew/opt
/opt/homebrew/share/zsh
/opt/homebrew/share/zsh/site-functions
/opt/homebrew/var/homebrew
/opt/homebrew/var/homebrew/linked
/opt/homebrew/Cellar
/opt/homebrew/Caskroom
/opt/homebrew/Frameworks

Press RETURN/ENTER to continue or any other key to abort:
==> /usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/install -d -o root -g wheel -m 0755 /opt/homebrew
==> /usr/bin/sudo /bin/mkdir -p /opt/homebrew/bin /opt/homebrew/etc /opt/homebrew/include /opt/homebrew/lib /opt/homebrew/sbin /opt/homebrew/share /opt/homebrew/var /opt/homebrew/opt /opt/homebrew/share/zsh /opt/homebrew/share/zsh/site-functions /opt/homebrew/var/homebrew /opt/homebrew/var/homebrew/linked /opt/homebrew/Cellar /opt/homebrew/Caskroom /opt/homebrew/Frameworks
==> /usr/bin/sudo /bin/chmod ug=rwx /opt/homebrew/bin /opt/homebrew/etc /opt/homebrew/include /opt/homebrew/lib /opt/homebrew/sbin /opt/homebrew/share /opt/homebrew/var /opt/homebrew/opt /opt/homebrew/share/zsh /opt/homebrew/share/zsh/site-functions /opt/homebrew/var/homebrew /opt/homebrew/var/homebrew/linked /opt/homebrew/Cellar /opt/homebrew/Caskroom /opt/homebrew/Frameworks
==> /usr/bin/sudo /bin/chmod go-w /opt/homebrew/share/zsh /opt/homebrew/share/zsh/site-functions
==> /usr/bin/sudo /usr/sbin/chown anagy /opt/homebrew/bin /opt/homebrew/etc /opt/homebrew/include /opt/homebrew/lib /opt/homebrew/sbin /opt/homebrew/share /opt/homebrew/var /opt/homebrew/opt /opt/homebrew/share/zsh /opt/homebrew/share/zsh/site-functions /opt/homebrew/var/homebrew /opt/homebrew/var/homebrew/linked /opt/homebrew/Cellar /opt/homebrew/Caskroom /opt/homebrew/Frameworks
==> /usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/chgrp admin /opt/homebrew/bin /opt/homebrew/etc /opt/homebrew/include /opt/homebrew/lib /opt/homebrew/sbin /opt/homebrew/share /opt/homebrew/var /opt/homebrew/opt /opt/homebrew/share/zsh /opt/homebrew/share/zsh/site-functions /opt/homebrew/var/homebrew /opt/homebrew/var/homebrew/linked /opt/homebrew/Cellar /opt/homebrew/Caskroom /opt/homebrew/Frameworks
==> /usr/bin/sudo /usr/sbin/chown -R anagy:admin /opt/homebrew
==> Downloading and installing Homebrew...
2 Likes

Can’t we just forward to the official brew instructions?

We don’t tell users how to install apt, a browser, tar, whatever… But brew has to be explained? Taking about thrice as much space as the final brew install exercism for the screenshots, for a simple command, that actually is against all proposed best bractices?

We assume people here know a programming language already and to use exercism.org to ramp up in that language or learn a second, third, xth language, but handhold them for something simple as curl | bash?

@ErikSchierboom Please have a look at Relatively quick fix to update homebrew install by glennj · Pull Request #129 · exercism/interactive-cli-walkthrough · GitHub

I had trouble installing the tooling to actually test it though.

Approved and merged. Waiting for Update homebrew instructions by ErikSchierboom · Pull Request #2241 · exercism/website-copy · GitHub to be approved for the changes to come into effect.

1 Like