Roadmap, Priorities and Bug Tracking

Makes sense, for sure. I’m wondering, what actually happens to those conversations? I also read about different bugs here, but where are they finally addressed and prioritized?

For example: The counter of formerly mentored sessions is (still) broken.

I’m just wondering, what is the point of such conversations?

1 Like

I am fairly certain that the limiting factor is not intentions, but time & energy.

1 Like

But still should points that are of interest be on any kind of ticket list with priorities or something. I’m not asking when things are done, but how they are handled and organized. I’m sure the forum is not really a great product backlog.

1 Like

You could offer Jeremy to build a project management system and to track projects, but with how small the Exercism team is, that might be more overhead than benefit. They may also very well have an internal tracking system and discussion platform. The forum is a place volunteers can bounce ideas around. Jeremy and Jonathan read most these posts and, I’m sure, are making notes and thinking about these problems. You’re welcome to make suggestions for improvements but do bear in mind that your priorities may not be Exercism’s priorities.

1 Like

I have my very own speculations and sure many could offer something. I just ask how such topics are currently handled. Because there is good chance such big conversations don’t make too much sense. Then I just won’t involve.

1 Like

Currently the correct place for these discussions is definitely the forum. Jeremy and Jonathan track the topics here and the forum provides a persistent record. The forum has explicitly been named as the correct place for these discussions.

1 Like

@deleted-user-33691 some really good points and observations - thank you for sharing.

Reflecting on this conversation, we’ve realized that there’s a deeper disconnect here.

What this topic and thread has surfaced is that mentorship in Exercism is a big area that needs to be unpacked and understood at a much deeper level. We didn’t realize that in time to reframe this conversation. As a result, we’ve let the discussion be focused on alleviating the frustration of mentoring as it currently is, rather than digging more deeply into the fundamental questions that this conversation has hinted at.

I’m sorry if you’ve felt unheard in the conversation as a consequence of us not fully seeing this.

We’re going to take a bit of time to wrestle with this, and we will come back to the community with more well-framed questions and topics for discussion and exploration.

1 Like