What Tagging System should we use?

Full disclosure, I created the ‘cat’ tag that now sits in Forum.

While it seemed like great idea at the time, hindsight is always 20/20, but on reflection, I don’t think it’s my finest internet moment :wink:

Which brings me on to a more pertinent topic for us here in the Forum…what Tagging system should we use that…

• prevents tag chaos (i.e. thousands of unique tags with no rhyme or reason, .net, dotnet, .:goal_net: etc)
  • helps us quickly identify threads and topics that are accurately and logically grouped together.
  • allows for easy categorising of content.

I’d love to hear your thoughts and insights into how we can make this aspect of the forum, work for everyone!

When I brought up the “Who can create tags” topic, I was creating a topic in the Programming/Bash category not specifically about bash. At the time I wanted to add a “shell” tag. In hindsight, that’s not a helpful tag.

I think the tags should be kind of perpendicular to the category. The org-wide-files labels.yml and exercism-specific labels.yml can give us some inspiration.

Suggested tags:

• request type: [“question”, “bug”, “feature request”, …]
  • request response: [“wontfix”, …]
  • original intent of topic:
    • “philospophical” to talk about perhaps the design decisions for a language
    • “poll” or “seeking opinions” when asking for opinions about something
1 Like