Unison version upgrade

Hi!

I think we have to try to upgrade the Unison version on the Unison track. I will try to experiment with it and put all results here. Now I have some questions:

1. @ErikSchierboom As I found, if the track version was upgraded but some solutions use deprecated features, users have to manually edit their solutions to pass all tests again. Am I right?
  2. In the Dockerfile of the Unison test runner, I found the command that pulls dependencies from the “custom” namespace unison.public.exercism_tooling.pinnedLibVersions.baseV1_1_1 (unison-test-runner/Dockerfile at main · exercism/unison-test-runner · GitHub). Where can I find this namespace, @rlmark ?

Yes, that is correct.

Thank you!

Apologies for the delay. I’ve been mentioning this to the Unison team so it’s a known todo to get our Exercism track up to date. It’ll require some changes to the transcripts in each of the exercises in addition to changes to the script which sets up the Unison workspace. I’m working with the team to get an up to date docker build for the UCM executable now.

5 Likes

Great! I am a maintainer on the Unison track now. So if you have some tasks, feel free to provide them to me.

2 Likes

@SimaDovakin, thank you, this is amazing! Unison has been stretched pretty thin so it’s fantastic to have another maintainer! I’d be happy to give you a run-down on what would need to happen to upgrade the track. I haven’t had enough time to actually do it, but we basically need to change the track to support the “projects” model of Unison code. There’s also some fun stuff with changing the Json encoder/decoder that we’re using.

I did some experiments with the test runner upgrade. I will write down all results of my experiments here.

Hi!

I updated Unison test runner. My PR is here: Unison version upgrade: by SimaDovakin · Pull Request #30 · exercism/unison-test-runner · GitHub. I edited Dockerfile, code that reads JSON and makes test results, and tests for the test runner. I use deprecated functionality in tests for now. After the Unison upgrade, I’ll try to rewrite tests using new testing functionality from the Unison base library.

Also, I can’t test the DockerfileMac file. It seems like it copies Unison binary from this local path unison-arm/unison.

I prepared changes to the track repo too. If we update Unison test runner, the track won’t work until we update it after test runner upgrade.

1 Like

Hi!

I prepared PR for the track The Unison upgrade by SimaDovakin · Pull Request #142 · exercism/unison · GitHub. First, we have to merge the changes to the test runner and then to the track repo.

@rlmark what do you think?

2 Likes

Hi!

I merged PR to the test runner and reran CI for the track The Unison upgrade by SimaDovakin · Pull Request #142 · exercism/unison · GitHub.

1 Like

The Unison track upgraded to version 0.5.26. I’m going to update exercises’ and test runner’s tests using not deprecated Unison functionality, and I’ll try to do it smoothly). If you notice any bugs, feel free to report them here or in the Unison forum category.

4 Likes